I’ve always LOVED eating yogurt. My kiddos inherited that love for yogurt, and buying it became super expensive!! I began to research how to make my own yogurt and I was introduced to the Instant Pot and I decided to order one. Let me tell you guys, I fell in love! I’ve never been so excited to use a product, and you can literally do everything in this thing, including making yogurt!! I just ordered my second Instant Pot, if that tells you anything about how awesome this thing is!
Gather up all of your ingredients and get ready for an adventure!
Start out by pouring the milk into the Instant Pot.
Push the Yogurt button until it says “Boil”
Monitor the temperature of the milk with a Digital Thermometer and allow it to reach 180 degrees.
When it reaches 180 degrees, put the inner pot into an ice bath and allow the milk to cool to between 95-110 degrees.
When it cools down enough, add the 2 TBSP of yogurt starter to a small amount of the warm milk and mix well, then add the mix to the rest of the milk and stir. You can also add your sweetener at this time.
Now all you need to do is push the Yogurt button and then adjust it to say 8:00.
Now we wait! After 8 hours, you will have beautiful yogurt waiting for you! Take the inner pot and place it in the fridge to allow it to cool for at least 4 hours. At this time, you can either strain the yogurt with a Greek Yogurt Strainer or serve it! Enjoy your delicious Yogurt with some Instant Pot Strawberry Compote or Instant Pot Blueberry Compote
Try making Homemade Yogurt Tubes next 🙂
–Greek Yogurt Strainer (optional)
Instant Pot Yogurt
A delicious way to make your own yogurt at home!
Author: From Arvada With Love
Ingredients-1 Gallon whole milk
-2 TBSP yogurt starter of your choice (Fage, Chobani, etc anything with live active cultures)
- Pour milk into Instant Pot and push “Yogurt” button and then push the “Adjust” button until the screen says “Boil.”
- Check the temperature using a Digital Thermometer until it reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the milk reaches 180 degrees, place the inner pot into the sink in an ice bath. You want the water to cool to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the milk cools to 110 degrees, return the inner pot to the Instant Pot. Using a ladle, remove 1 cup of milk and place into a bowl. Add the 2 TBSP of yogurt starter and mix well, then slowly add the mixture back to the inner pot and stir well.
- Push the “Yogurt” button again and then “Adjust” until it says “Normal.” Adjust the time using the “+” and “-“ buttons until it says 8:00.
- When the yogurt is finished incubating, place the inner pot into the fridge to cool for at least 4 hours.
- When the yogurt has cooled, strain the yogurt using cheesecloth, a milk nut bag, or a colander with coffee filters in it. If you prefer regular yogurt, you can skip the straining step.
- When the straining is complete you will have beautiful Greek yogurt! You can sweeten the yogurt with vanilla, honey, or sugar to your liking. It goes well with Strawberry or Blueberry compote as well!
- TIP: Fairlife milk creates amazingly thick yogurt without the need for straining! It’s my favorite milk to use! 😊 But you can also make your life easier and buy a Greek Yogurt Strainer!
***To make Yogurt in a pressure cooker without the “yogurt button”- use the sauté function on LOW to heat the yogurt to 180 degrees, take the inner pot off and allow it to cook to 110 degrees. Turn the instant pot off and put the lid back on to save the heat. Return the inner pot to the Instant Pot and cover the whole thing with a towel and allow it to sit for 8 hours. You can then chill the yogurt in the fridge for 4 hours and then strain. 🙂
My name is Ashton, I am a full time self employed single mom. I am a mom of two amazing boys and enjoy spending all of time with them. I love cooking, baking and creating fun activities for my sons to experiment with. This blog will be full of food, recipes and all of our adventures. Enjoy!